Social Media Tips to help protect you.
Social media is a part of modern life with many people posting every day, but most don’t think about just who can access the information they post. It might come as a surprise to know that 78% of burglars use Facebook and Twitter to target potential properties.
Here’s is my top 10 tips to staying safe on social:
- Don’t ‘check-in’ at airports or holiday destinations on social channels. This tells people you’re out of the country and not home.
- Don’t announce when you’re going on holiday.
- Don’t tweet photos from inside your home.
- Don’t give too much information away about yourself and your life.
- Don’t accept friend requests from people you don’t know on Facebook.
- Don’t post photos of new expensive items you’ve bought or received as presents.
- Don’t mention your address on any social network or sites that aren’t trusted.
- Don’t announce any risk to your home, such as a smashed window or broken alarm.
- Regularly check the safety settings of your social profiles, as when these change you may not realise exactly who you’re sharing content with.
- Only post your holiday pictures when you return home.
Following these tips will help you reduce your risk of burglary, protecting you and your loved ones.